Dec 10, 2022  
2016 - 2018 CNM Catalog, Volume 49 
2016 - 2018 CNM Catalog, Volume 49 [The CNM Academic Year includes Fall, Spring, Summer Terms]

Human Services, Associate of Arts

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study

School of Communication, Humanities & Social Sciences (CHSS)

The Human Services degree is designed for students who wish to work in a wide variety of settings with a focus on helping others. The Human Services associate degree is articulated for transfer to most bachelor’s level Social Work programs in New Mexico.

The Human Services degree provides for diverse learning based upon student’s interests to include: substance abuse counseling, child development, family studies, sociology, psychology, and criminal justice.

See Recommended Sequence of Courses

Students who are interested in working with young children and families can earn a Child Development Certificate of Achievement by taking ECME 1104, ECME 1108, ECME 2204 and ECME 2206 as program electives. The CNM Child Development Certificate of Achievement is aligned to support the New Mexico Child Development Certificate (CDC) offered by the New Mexico Office of Child Development.  Individuals must be currently working in a child-care setting to qualify for the state certificate. To apply for the New Mexico Child Development Certificate, an applicant must request a Certificate Packet from the New Mexico Kids Network office by calling (505) 277-1118. Successful completion requires verification of coursework completion, a professional resource file, a family opinion questionnaire, an observation, and oral interview.

Students can take specified electives to become a Licensed Substance Abuse Associate (LSAA) or obtain a certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling to satisfy program electives. The LSAA provides individuals with the entry-level licensure required to work in the field of Substance Abuse Counseling to gain required supervised internship hours for the Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADAC) license.

The associate degree in Human Services and the certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling meet the requirements for becoming a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADAC) through the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Board after completing internship hours and passing the National Certified Addiction Counselor (NCAC) Level 1 exam. For questions regarding specific requirements for the LSAA and the LADAC certification, contact the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Practice Board (NMCTPB) at

Approximate Costs of this Educational Option

Financial Aid Considerations


Career and Educational Opportunities

Educational Opportunities

An associate degree in Human Services is often required for obtaining a position as a social services assistant. Social workers are typically required to have a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW) or higher. A master’s degree in social work (MSW) can provide opportunities for advancement into human services management. Graduates from the program may transfer to designated four-year institutions that grant bachelor’s degrees in Human Services. The Human Services concentration is specifically articulated for transfer to New Mexico Highlands University’s (Rio Rancho and Albuquerque) bachelor’s degree in Social Work.

Many of the courses in this program are transferable and some may be applied to four-year degree programs at other institutions. CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges and universities in New Mexico and elsewhere.


Employment Information

Students pursuing a degree in Social Work have the opportunity to work with many types of people in a variety of settings. They may work with children and families, older adults, or people with mental illnesses. They often work in hospitals, nursing homes, substance abuse centers, and government agencies. The duties of a social worker or social services assistant may include planning group therapy, assisting clients with applying for social programs such as Medicare and welfare, and maintaining accurate client records.

Program Proficiencies and/or Prerequisites

Students may demonstrate proficiency in these areas either by Diploma/GPA , placement exam scores , or specific course work.

Recommended Sequence of Courses

Term 3

Associate of Arts in Human Services, Social Work Concentration 61 credit hours

Program Approved Electives

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs of Study