Dec 06, 2022
School of Business & Information Technology (BIT)
CNM offers this 3-term Accounting Certificate of Completion to provide students with the necessary skills for accounting positions in industry.
The Accounting program provides graduates with a strong foundation in the theory and procedures of accounting for business transactions. Computer technology and software applications that facilitate production of accounting information are an integral part of the program. Education in accounting often provides a competitive advantage to those seeking advancement in all aspects of business.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Accounting coursework covers financial, managerial and tax accounting practices and procedures. Students develop financial statements for a variety of users and study the fundamentals of business and law. Students also study the verbal, written and teamwork skills needed for a business career.
Educational Option Information
- This educational option can be completed: Part-time or full-time. Full-time students can complete the program in three terms.
- This educational option can be started: Any term
- Primary course location: Main campus, Montoya campus, and many courses are offered online
- Note: A felony conviction will not prevent entry into the program or employment; however, it may limit available employment opportunities.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
Career and Educational Opportunities
The Associate of Applied Science degree transfers at least 30 technical credits and applicable arts and sciences credits toward the Career Technical Associate of Arts transfer degree. Contact the School of Business & Information Technology for more information.
Many of our Accounting courses are transferable to universities and CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges in New Mexico.
Other licenses or industry certification opportunities available with this educational option:
Some certifications that are available include:
- Certified Bookkeeper (CB)
- Certified Public Bookkeeper (CPB)
- This program is designed to provide a strong foundation in the theory and procedures of accounting for business transactions to enable you to become employable in the industry.
Potential employers for this educational option:
- Most businesses, governmental and non-profit organizations employ accountants and/or bookkeepers.
- The U.S. Department of Labor Statistics Job Outlook Handbook predicts that both full- and part-time employment for persons with accounting education are expected to grow faster than average.
Sample job titles for this educational option:
- Accounting Clerk, Accounting Assistant, Bookkeeper, Account Clerk, Accounts Payable Clerk, Accounts Receivable Clerk, Accounts Payable Specialist, Accounting Associate.
Sample job duties/description for this educational option:
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software.
- Operate 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Receive, record, and bank cash, checks, and vouchers.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses.
- Code documents according to company procedures.
- Reconcile or note and report discrepancies found in records.
Program Proficiencies and/or Prerequisites
Students may demonstrate proficiency in these areas either by Diploma/GPA , placement exam scores , or specific course work.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Certificate in Accounting 42-46 credit hours