Aug 18, 2019
School of Applied Technologies (AT)
Single-term program providing basic instruction required to earn a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Students learn how to operate a Class B truck safely and efficiently through classroom, range, and over-the-road environments and through full-time and part-time course work. Class B students will receive a CNM Certificate of Achievement. The student will be able to drive Class B and C vehicles with this license, not tractor trailers. This program meets federal regulation requirements for entry-level drivers.
Lab courses are held at off-campus locations.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Educational Option Information
- This program can be completed: In one term.
- This program is offered: Fall, Spring and Summer terms.
- Primary course location: Advanced Technology Center (ATC)
Students are expected to purchase textbooks and possibly small assistive equipment such as work gloves and a flashlight.
- All students must pass a DOT physical and drugscreen. All students will be required to be subject to random DOT drugscreens as well. Students must be able to work in all weather conditions, climb, and stand for long periods as the lab classes are conducted outside.
Other course requirements
Students are subject to ALL Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations drug and alcohol testing rules.
Information for people with felony convictions
- A felony conviction will not prevent entry into the program, obtaining a CDL, or employment; however, it may limit available employment opportunities. In addition, depending upon the type of felony conviction and the age of the conviction, the student may not be able to obtain a Hazardous Materials endorsement if they are looking for this. Information on the Hazardous Materials limitations are available with the department or on the New Mexico MVD website.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
This is a terminal certificate option and leads directly to employment. Transferability to other institutions is dependent upon that particular institution.
- Students will be qualified to apply and test for a New Mexico Class B CDL upon completion of the program.
Jobs are available with various types of trucking companies, including local delivery, in-state routes and over-the road (regional and 48 states) opportunities.
Gainful Employment information is available from Job Connection Services.
Minimum Credit Hours Required to Complete Certificate: 9