Feb 27, 2020
2019 - 2020 CNM Catalog, Volume 51
Dietary Manager, Certificate of Completion
School of Math, Science & Engineering (MSE)
Dietary Managers work with registered dietitians to provide quality food production, service, and nutritional care and are an integral part of health care and food service management teams.
The Dietary Manager Certificate of Completion program prepares students to manage the administration of food service systems in both public and private institutional settings. The program focuses on the principles and practices of human nutrition, food safety, the design and organization of food service systems, purchasing, and personnel management. Coursework includes classroom and lab time, with students completing 180 hours of supervised practice in accredited facilities.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible to sit for the Certifying Board of Dietary Managers’ national exam and earn the CDM (Certified Dietary Manager) and CFPP (Certified Food Protection Professional) credentials. The CDM and CFPP are nationally recognized as experts in managing dietary operations.
Educational Option Information
- This educational option is designed for: Immediate employment and transfer into a baccalaureate program
- This educational option can be started: Any Term
- This educational option can be completed: Part-Time or Full-Time
- Primary course location: Main Campus
Students are expected to purchase textbooks. In addition, there are program fees for drug screenings and a criminal background check.
Information for people with felony convictions
- A felony conviction will prevent successful completion of the program. A criminal background check is required for students enrolled in the Dietary Manager Internships which are required for the certificate.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
- Drug Screening and Criminal Background Check Fees: Approximately $100
- Individual courses associated with this program may require students to purchase additional materials.
Gainful Employment information is available from Job Connection Services.
- Nursing facilities, rehab facilities, hospitals, senior living communities, correctional facilities, schools, military, corporations
Sample Job Titles
- Certified Dietary Manager (CDM), Foodservice Manager and many others
Sample Job Duties
- Manage menus, food purchasing, food preparation, document nutrition information, ensure food safety
Other Courses That May Help Employability/Promotability
- Culinary arts courses and a bachelor’s degree will improve chances of employment and also result in a higher salary.
Current pay rates
- Average Full-Time salary (2010): $45,423
Minimum Credit Hours Required to Complete Certificate: 20
Program Approved Electives