School of Health, Wellness & Public Safety (HWPS)
Students within the Yoga Certification program study anatomy & physiology, kinesiology, and group exercise leadership preparation and are CPR certified. Special emphasis is placed on learning the yoga philosophy, lifestyle and ethics for yoga teachers. Students upon completion of this certificate program will be nationally recognized by the Yoga Alliance 200 hour Hatha Level I certification.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Educational Option Information
- This educational option is an: Certificate of Completion
- This educational option can be completed: In three terms.
- This educational option is designed for: Any student who wants to learn more about Yoga or is interested in teaching Yoga.
- This educational option can be started: After completing FITT 1593: Hatha Yoga or concurrently with FITT 1593: Hatha Yoga
- Primary course location: Main Campus
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
- This program is pending Financial Aid approval.
An interest in Yoga, and a desire to be physically active.
Students will be required to purchase their own Yoga mat.
The Yoga Instructor Certificate is almost completely embedded within the Fitness Certificate. Therefore much of the coursework in both certificates is almost the same except for some additional courses that students would need to take to receive a fitness certificate. This Yoga instructor certificate does not offer transfer credits to a degree at CNM or another institution.
According to O*Net reports a projected job growth in this field between 2014-2024 of about 5-8% with 74,900 annual job openings nationally. O*Net reports for New Mexico job growth in this field between 2014-2024 greater than 11% with 40 job openings annually state wide. This is great news, as it is higher than the national average.
Teach Yoga at any level by becoming nationally recognized as a yoga instructor by the Yoga Alliance 200 hour Hatha Level 1 certification. Employment includes: community centers, senior centers, teaching individual and private sessions, bring Yoga to their work, facilitate, manage, and work at a Yoga studio.