School of Math, Science & Engineering (MSE)
Geography is the field of science describing, analyzing, and understanding the distribution and spatial interaction of Earth’s physical and cultural landscapes. Using tools such as mapping, it focuses on the complex interrelationships between Earth and human systems, sustainability of global and local resources, and social and demographic phenomena. This program is designed to meet the requirements for an Associate of Arts in Geography from CNM and prepare a student to obtain a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Geography at the University of New Mexico. However, students from CNM seeking a baccalaureate degree may also transfer to other institutions. Students interested in transfer to UNM should consult the UNM Geography Department. Students should always refer to the catalog of their intended transfer institution for admission, program, course, and graduation requirements. College catalogs are generally available online. Students should also consult a faculty advisor and/or an Academic Coach with CNM Connect Services.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Educational Option Information
- This educational option is an Associate of Arts Degree
- This educational option can be completed Part-Time or Full-Time
- This educational option is designed for: Immediate employment and transfer into a baccalaureate program.
- This educational option can be started: Any Term
- Scheduling Information: Follow course catalog recommendations to avoid scheduling problems.
- Primary course location: Main Campus
Students are expected to purchase textbooks, lab manuals and lab safety equipment.
Information for people with felony convictions
- A felony conviction will not prevent entry into the program or employment; however, it may limit available employment opportunities.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
Career and Educational Opportunities
Many of the courses in this program are transferable and some may be applied to four-year degree programs at other institutions. CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges and universities in New Mexico and elsewhere.
Career opportunities are available in both the public and private sectors, including industries and businesses that require management, supervision, administrative support, and entrepreneurship. Example industries include advertising, marketing, entrepreneurship, human resources, sales, real estate, retail, small business management and supervision. Example job titles/descriptions include business owner, manager, team leader, entrepreneur, project manager, supervisor.