Sep 26, 2017
School of Communication, Humanities & Social Sciences (CHSS)
The Fine Arts program offers a rich variety of courses which are designed to acquaint students with the range of visual arts, elements of drawing and design, the history of art, as well as the important role which art and architecture play in society.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Educational Option Information
- This educational option is an Associate of Arts Degree.
- This educational option can be completed Part-Time or Full-Time.
- This educational option is designed for Meeting the requirements for an Associate of Fine Arts, with Concentration in Art Studio, from CNM and prepare a student to obtain a Bachelor of Fine Arts or related degree.
- This educational option can be started Any term.
- Primary course location: Main Campus, Westside Campus and Montoya Campus have full art studios.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
- Students may be required to purchase materials for art studio courses.
- This cost is approximately $300.
Career and Educational Opportunities
The Associates Degree is an important milestone for student pursuing either a baccalaureate degree or a graduate degree in the field. Core requirements for the baccalaureate are met through completion of the CNM Associate of Arts degree.
Many of the courses in this program are transferable and some may be applied to four-year degree programs at other institutions. CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges and universities in New Mexico and elsewhere.
Sample Job Titles
- Professional Artists/Craftsman
- Museum Preparator
- Gallery Attendant
- Custom Framer
- Art Supply Sales
- Tattoo Artist
- Sign Painter
Program Proficiencies and/or Prerequisites
Students may demonstrate proficiency in these areas either by Diploma/GPA , placement exam scores , or specific course work.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Associate of Arts in Fine Arts, Art Studio Concentration 60-61 credit hours
This information is meant to serve as a general guide for students intending to major in Art Studio. Specific requirements for transfer will vary from school to school. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the four year transfer school to confirm specific admission and degree requirements.
* ARTS 1125 and ARTS 1126 recommended for transfer.
* * MATH 1340 recommended.
* * * HIST 1101 or HIST 1102 recommended.
Program Approved Electives
Art History Program Approved Electives
Art Studio Program Approved Electives