Dec 11, 2017
School of Math, Science & Engineering (MSE)
Students majoring in biology examine the structure and function of the living world. Interested students can learn about career opportunities and pathways in Biology and related fields from the American Institute of Biological Sciences.
The two-year program is designed to meet the requirements for an Associate of Science in Biology from CNM and prepare a student to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Biology at the University of New Mexico. However, students from CNM seeking a baccalaureate degree may also transfer to other institutions. Students interested in transfer to UNM should consult the UNM Biology department. Students should always refer to the catalog of their intended transfer institution for admission, program, course, and graduation requirements. College catalogs are generally available online. Students should also consult the School Advisor in the School of Math, Science and Engineering at CNM.
See Recommended Sequence of Courses
Educational Option Information
- This educational option is an: Associate of Science Degree
- This educational option can be completed: Part-Time or Full-Time
- This educational option is designed for: Immediate employment and transfer into a baccalaureate program.
- This educational option can be started: Any Term
- Follow course catalog recommendations to avoid scheduling problems.
- Primary course location: Main Campus
Students are expected to purchase textbooks, lab manuals and lab safety equipment.
Information for people with felony convictions
- A felony conviction will not prevent entry into the program or employment; however, it may limit available employment opportunities.
Approximate Costs of this Educational Option
Financial Aid Considerations
Career and Educational Opportunities
Many of the courses in this program are transferable and some may be applied to four-year degree programs at other institutions. CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges and universities in New Mexico and elsewhere.
Program Proficiencies and/or Prerequisites
Students may demonstrate proficiency in these areas either by Diploma/GPA , placement exam scores , or specific course work.
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Associate of Science in Biology 62 - 64 credit hours
Additional courses beyond the AS Degree requirements may be taken at CNM and applied toward a four year degree program. This coursework includes:
- an additional Humanities/Fine Arts or Social/Behavioral Science General Education course (3 credit hours)
- CHEM 2710 - Organic Chemistry I (3 credit hours)*
- CHEM 2792 - Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (1 credit hour)*
*These courses will fulfill the equivalent 300-level Organic Chemistry degree requirement at UNM, but will not transfer to UNM as upper division courses. These classes cannot be used to fulfill UNM’s minimum upper division credit hour requirement for Bachelor degrees.
This information is meant to serve as a general guide for students intending to major in Biology. Specific requirements for transfer will vary from school to school. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the four year transfer school to confirm specific admission and degree requirements.