Jul 26, 2017
School of Communication, Humanities & Social Sciences (CHSS)
The Fine Arts program offers a rich variety of courses which are designed to acquaint students with the range of visual arts, elements of drawing and design, the history of art, as well as the important role which art and architecture play in society.
Educational Option Information
This educational option is a
This educational option can be completed
This educational option is designed for
- Meeting the requirements for an Associate of Fine Arts, with Concentration in Art Studio, from CNM and prepare a student to obtain a Bachelor of Fine Arts or related degree.
This educational option can be started
Primary course location
- Main Campus, Westside Campus and Montoya Campuses have full art studios.
Cost and Financial Aid
This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
Approximate Cost of Educational Option
Books and Fees (not including tuition)
- Approximately $2,500 - $3,000
- Individual courses associated with this program may require students to purchase additional materials.
- Students may be required to purchase materials for art studio courses.
- This cost is approximately $300.00.
Career and Educational Opportunities
The Associates Degree is an important milestone for student pursuing either a baccalaureate degree or a graduate degree in the field. Core requirements for the baccalaureate are met through completion of the CNM Associate of Arts degree.
Prospects for Employment
Sample Job Titles
- Professional Artists/Craftsman
- Museum Preparator
- Gallery Attendant
- Custom Framer
- Art Supply Sales
- Tattoo Artist
- Sign Painter
Recommended Sequence of Courses
Program Proficiencies and/or Prerequisites
Students must demonstrate proficiency in these areas either by placement exam, scores or specific course work.
Associate of Arts in Fine Arts, Art Studio Concentration 60-61 credit hour(s)
This information is meant to serve as a general guide for students intending to major in Art Studio. Specific requirements for transfer will vary from school to school. ARTS Practices 1125 and ARTS Practices 1126 are required for transfer to UNM. (ARTS 1121 and ARTS 1122 are not direct transfers to UNM; ARTS 2214 may not transfer directly to UNM.) *The UNM College of Fine Arts requires HIST 1101 or HIST 1102 for their bachelor’s degrees. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the four year transfer school to confirm specific admission and degree requirements.
* Recommended for UNM transfer.
Program Approved Electives