School of Math, Science & Engineering (MSE)
The Biotechnology Program prepares students for transfer to a four year program in Biology with a concentration in the dynamic and exciting field of biotechnology. Four year degree graduates can expect to compete for positions as biotechnicians where they will use cutting-edge technology to uncover the molecular causes of disease, develop new drugs and therapies, enhance agricultural products or remediate environmental problems. Biotechnicians conduct research experiments, run assays, operate lab equipment, and help manage laboratory activities by maintaining records, performing data analysis, and establishing and maintaining quality controls. Students in the Biotechnology Program build knowledge and skills through a program of lectures and hands-on laboratory experience. Laboratory techniques include molecular biology, recombinant DNA, protein isolation and analysis, immunology and cell culture skills.
The Certificate in Biotechnology is designed for students who wish to acquire or upgrade their hands-on laboratory skills in biotechnology. The certificate is composed solely of foundational biology and chemistry courses and biotechnology core courses. The certificate is intended to supplement the education of CNM students pursuing the Associate of Science in Biology or students pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree at a four year institution.
The Certificate of Completion is also designed for students who wish to acquire the skills necessary to work in the field of biotechnology. Students will receive classroom training in the fundamentals of biology and chemistry, as well as skills taught in biotechnology core courses. The specific biotechnology coursework is intended to supplement a basic biology curriculum with skills and abilities that will provide graduates with a competitive edge when seeking employment or applying for graduate programs. A pending articulation agreement between CNM and the University of New Mexico will allow all CNM biotechnology coursework to be applied to the UNM Bachelor of Science degree in Biology and constitute a concentration in Biotechnology
Skills needed for success
Educational Option Information
This educational option is a
- Certificate of Completion Program
This educational option can be completed
This educational option is designed for
- Immediate employment and transfer into a baccalaureate program
This educational option can be started
- Follow course catalog recommendations to avoid scheduling problems.
Primary course location
Biotechnology core courses must be taken in sequence. Students are expected to purchase textbooks, lab manuals, lab notebooks, a lab coat and lab safety equipment.
Information for people with felony convictions
- A felony conviction will not prevent entry into the program or employment; however, it may limit available employment opportunities.
Cost and Financial Aid
Financial Aid considerations
- Financial aid eligible program.
Approximate Cost of Educational Option
Books and Fees (not including tuition)
- Approximately $1,000 - $1,200. Individual courses associated with this program may require students to purchase additional materials.
Career and Educational Opportunities
Many of our courses are transferable to universities and CNM currently has transfer agreements with many colleges in New Mexico.
Prospects for Employment
- Biotechnology is an emerging industry nationally, and as the bioscience industry continues to grow, so will the opportunities for biotechnicians.
Sample Job Duties
- Biotechnicians are employed in areas such as basic science research, clinical research, industrial research and development, pharmaceuticals, agricultural engineering and environmental science. Most Biology graduates with a four year degree and concentration in Biotechnology will find work in the first three fields because these are the most common biotechnology industries found in New Mexico.
Current pay rates
- In New Mexico, entry level salaries start at $15/hour for B.S. degree technicians. Salaries for experienced biotechnicians can reach $20+/hour.